During the month of November, the United States celebrates Veterans Day. In the spirit of this holiday, we honor and remember our Filipino American veterans on Saturday, November 1st.
“Salute to Filipino American Veterans”
UW Kelly Ethnic Cultural Center
3931 Brooklyn Avenue NE, Seattle, WA
Saturday, November 1, 2014
Noon – 5:00 pm
A special showing of Forgotten Soldiers. This feature-length documentary movie tells the story of the U.S. Army’s Philippine Scouts and the terrible ordeal they and their comrades suffered on Bataan and Corregidor during World War II including the Bataan Death March, Japanese prison camps, and guerrilla warfare in the Philippines. Producer/Director Donald Plata will be on hand to introduce the movie.
Prior to the film, we will hear presentations from individuals who served in the various branches of the U.S. Armed Forces during the different wars that have occurred since the early 1940’s. Just to highlight a few:
- From the archives of FANHS, we will listen to the oral histories of three veterans who served in the 1st & 2ndS. Army Infantry;
- We will hear about one individual’s experience with the Alamo Scouts;
- What role did one Filipino American have with the Farthometer/Depth Sounder;
- A U.S. Army pilot will share his story as a helicopter pilot during the Vietnam War;
- Special guest, Ret. Brigadier General Oscar Hilman.
Refreshments and food will be provided. Admission is free to the public. Please join us to listen and learn about the military contributions and accomplishments of Filipino Americans in the U.S. Armed Forces.
For additional information, contact Catherine Bryant, Greater Seattle Chapter of FANHS (206) 947-3180 or Zenaida Slemp, Philippine Scouts Heritage Society, at (253) 921-5788.
Program Sponsored By
- The Filipino American Student Association (FASA) at the University of Washington
- Greater Seattle Chapter of the Filipino American National Historical Society (FANHS)
- Greater South Puget Sound FANHS Chapter
- Philippine Scout Heritage Society – Jose Calugus Sr. Chapter
- Filipino Community Alliance (FCA)
Spread the word: please print flyer (PDF) below and distribute. Thanks!